Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rev 19:7

Greetings on this sunny day,
Isn't our weather wonderful? Tucker and I have walked already and enjoyed the birds singing, the breeze blowing and the flowers showing their magnificence.
Yesterday I went through our cedar chest looking for our wedding album and memory book. In the process I decided to get my wedding dress out. I hung it up and have been looking at it every time I come into the office. So many memories.....
There's wrinkles in my dress and on my face because it's been 35 years come the 28th since we were married. Chuck and I have a history of love, friendship, anger, promises kept and broken, sharing our coming to the Lord just 2 days apart, children, grandchildren and so much wonderful ministry to Him.
As I look at the dress I remember the young 21 year old who wore it. I was so old, yet so innocent in too many ways. I had emotional scares from my childhood that made me old, yet I knew nothing about marriage and went into it with starry eyes, expecting everything to be wonderful.
I thought I was ready for marriage and in some ways I was. I was independent of my parents, so I knew I could take care of myself. I thought I could handle all the emotions that come with marriage. I wanted friendship, unconditional love, support and encouragement. I also wanted to give those things.
Even though Chuck and I have a similar background, we were also raised quite differently. So we came into our marriage with ideas and patterns that needed to blend. It wasn't easy, but we did it. We worked hard and made ourselves ready to be the marriage partners that we needed to be. And, this took years!
As I look at the scripture today, Revelation 19:7 I can identify with it. "Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready."
We are the bride. We are ready. How? By trusting Christ as Savior. By understanding the message of salvation and believing it. Also, by studying the Word and applying it, we continue to make ourselves 'ready'.
The "Supper of the Lamb" will happen when we reach Heaven, during the tribulation period. It will be a time of rejoicing and we will give Him the glory. We'll been given fine linen to wear, representing our righteous acts (vs. 8).
I don't know about you, but I'm really looking forward to this wonderful celebration with our Lamb. I can't wait to see the many wonderful things the Lord shows us, about others and ourselves. I know there are people there, that because of my sharing Christ with someone they know, they've trusted Christ. It's a trickle down effect.
The Jews had a betrothal period where they were basically married/pledged/engaged and remained faithful to each other. That's what happened to us when we trusted Christ as Savior. The actual marriage ceremony will happen in Heaven. We are pledged to Christ, He is our bridegroom. Isn't that so very special?

Waiting for the ceremony,
Sandy

No comments: