Friday, April 4, 2008

Luke 12:15

As Chuck would say: Howdy!
Chuck's home and we've gotten some things done today. I had bought curtains for our bedroom and the living room, but finally got the rods bought yesterday. So today we put the rods up and we have two rooms that look so much warmer and friendlier. It's surprising how something a simple as curtains could do that, but visually it made a difference.
As I've been in the buying mode, I've been really curious about my attitude. A few years ago buying decorating things would have thrilled me. I really like to decorate because it fills a need for my creativity. But, as I have some Scotch-Irish in me, I'm very tight with money. So spending it is sometimes difficult. As you can tell, I'm a mixed bag.
My attitude since we've moved has been, so-what. I have to buy the things and I have looked for the best bargains and found some sales. But I have also bought things that are pleasing to my creative eye. I should be enjoying the process of shopping more, but I'm not. It's like: this is something I have, so-what. There's that so-what again.
I think my attitudes comes from the fact that earth is not my home and the Lord is more important than 'things'. I haven't always thought that, but I'm really glad I do now. So, when I was looking for a verse about possessions, Luke 12:15 seemed to fit the spot. Although, as I read the whole section, I realize I really am bending this verse, somewhat.
Than he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Please read verses 13-21 to get the whole picture.
In a materialistic world, we need to be careful in our priorities. Is God first? Do we give Him the first fruits of our labor? Do we seek Him in our decision making, especially in how we spend and save our money? Are our possessions more important than Him?
Where are you at in this equation? Do new possessions control you? Do you obsess over the things that you don't have, but want? Do you realize that Satan uses 'things' to keep our eyes off the Lord and on what doesn't matter, in light of eternity.
I guess that I am pleased and grateful to the Lord that through the years He's changed me so that 'things' aren't the priority in my life. Does this sound like I'm bragging? No, and the Lord knows I'm not. It's a victory that He's helped me to obtain.

Victory in Jesus,
Sandy

No comments: