Thursday, March 13, 2008

Colossians 1:10-11

Hey,

Another beautiful sunny day. Tucker and I enjoyed our walk; she's sprawled out on the floor beside me, worn out from chasing her ball and sniffing doggy smells.
I talked with Betty a little while ago. She's waiting to go into surgery, which should be fairly soon. I know the Lord is with her and she's told me that she has complete peace. Isn't the Lord wonderful to give us peace in the midst of what we have to do? Keep her in your prayers as she does her work for the Lord. Thanks!
I've chosen Colossians 1:9-12 today because of a word picture that I want to share with you.
After you've opened your Bibles and read it, join me..... What I want to concentrate on is verse 11. It talks about being strengthened and having great endurance and patience and joyfully.
When we lived in Europe, we had a camp in the mountains near where we lived. There was a young man named Stanley. He was obnoxious and tiresome. Do you remember him Anne? He was from the youth group in Zlin, where we lived. Anyway, all of the adults had put up with his antics for most of the camp, but one afternoon between classes, we decided that we'd had enough of Stanley's attitudes and mouth. So, we duck taped him to a tree.
At first it was funny and even he was laughing. But, then people started to tell him why he was duck taped to the tree, and it wasn't funny for him any longer. It wasn't like we were trying to be cruel, it's just that our patience ran out. By the time we cut him down, he was humiliated and angry.
Later that day, I saw him sitting on one of the benches and I could tell by his body language that he was still mad and hurt. I went and sat down by him and apologized for what we had done. I think he was shocked that I apologized. We were adults and American's, ergo, we walked on water.
I could see his face soften as I talked with him about how we'd run out of patience with him. I told him that we shouldn't have done what we did, because it humiliated him. I could tell that he was surprised that I understood that.
My apology worked, and he forgave us and because I had told him that our actions did not honor God, my testimony worked to plant seeds. Eventually he did get saved and together with our pastor's son and another young boy, they started a Promise Keeper's for youth in their church.
So, what's my point? Verse 11 says: "being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully." Our strength comes from Him. When we're faced with trials, stop, pray and ask Him to strengthen you. It's kind of like a 'time out'. Out of His strength comes great endurance and patience and the fruit is joy.
So, when you're tempted to duck tape your child to a tree, don't. Call on the Lord and He will provide for you what you need, to His glory.

Joyfully,
Sandy

No comments: