Thursday, March 27, 2008

Chicken and a hot dog

Hello on this cold, rainy day. Tucker and I walked early to avoid the drizzle. I didn't walk as far today. I think my long walks have been just a little too long.
Today I'm doing Bible study and will be working on some cards I'm making later. I'm studying the book of Romans, for myself. The note taking isn't far different than when I taught, but I've added notes just for me. Once again I'm reminded of what we've gained by trusting Christ as our Savior: eternal life with Him!!! He tells us to BE RIGHT: with God, self and others.
As you can tell by the words in the title, I have another word picture from life on the farm. We had a black dog named Max. Because he was raised with all the other animals, he learned not to chase chickens and such. So therefore, they weren't afraid of him. He didn't like them trying to eat his food though.
One day in the middle of a cold, snowy winter, I looked out the kitchen door and there lay Max, in the sun and a chicken sitting on top of him, sucking up the warmth he emanated. I wanted to take a picture, but the door opening woke them both.
This story reminds me of the verse in Ecclesiastes 4:11: "Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?" Read verses 8-12 to get the picture of what Solomon is trying to say.
This section also reminds me of James 2:16-17: "If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."
Max and the chicken were drawing warmth from each other and the sun. They were working together for mutual satisfaction. When we work with each other, serving the needs of others we too are 'warmed' with satisfaction of serving the Lord as He desires.
These verses talk about working together, manifesting our faith as the Lord commands and desires of us. At the end of Ecclesiastes 4:12 it says: a cord of three strands is not quickly broken. That's God helping us as we work together.
Do you ask God to be in your planning; daily or long term? Do you ask Him to help you in carrying out these plans? Do you seek to edify Him by your serving? Do you help 'pickup' (encourage) those who need a lift was they serve?
Friendship brings warmth to our souls and joy to our hearts. When we serve together we are doubly blessed by His warmth to our hearts and minds.

By Him I am warm,
Sandy

No comments: