Monday, June 2, 2008

Women prophesied

Good Morning All,
I trust you had a good weekend. Because Chuck preached at the prison yesterday and it was for both services, I decided to stay home. I didn't want to, but my energy level just isn't there. I see my doctor tomorrow, so hopefully he can help with some suggestions or whatever needs to be done. Anyway, I miss all of you in Hillsboro, a lot. I'm glad Chuck could see many and he had a great time with the guys at Graham. He had one guy say that Chuck was his favorite preacher; I know what he means!
We were spared from the worst of the storms on Saturday. The sirens went off a lot, but we didn't get anything too bad here at the house except for some rain and very little hail and wind of course. Can't live in the flatlands and not get wind.
Today I'm looking at Acts 21:8-9 for women who prophesied. "Leaving the next day, we reached Caesarea and stayed at the house of Philip the evangelist, one of the Seven. He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied." Philip was one of seven deacons; an original in the work there. Philip was also an evangelist and had been an associate of Stephen, whom Paul (Saul then) had helped to stone.
You can imagine the fellowship between the two. Hopefully Paul's reputation as a servant of God helped to smooth any hard feelings away.
Anyway, Philip had four unmarried daughters who prophesied. As far as I can tell, this is the only mention of these women. My foot note says: Prophesying was done extensively in the early church. It was a spiritual gift, a supernatural empowering to build up God's family. Those with this gift either proclaimed to God's people new truth from God or challenged them with existing scriptural truths. Both men and women possessed this gift. (1 Cor. 11: 4-5).
These folks didn't have the complete Bible as we do. They may have had the letters from which the N.T. was written, but not the complete work, so the Lord used this means of teaching the people and telling them what He wanted them to do. If you read verses 10-11, you'll see how the Lord used Agabus to tell Paul something.
Does the Lord use men and women to prophesy today? Possibly; probably, but I don't think to the extent that we saw during the early days of the Christian church. He doesn't need to; we have the Word to guide and teach us.
But the lesson here is: God uses women in ministry and in very important ministry. We are not second class citizens in God's eyes. God will and can use you; are you ready?

Willing and ready,
Sandy

No comments: