Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Galatians 3:38

Hi Everyone,
As I look outside my window, I see a sea of green. Corn is growing prodigiously with all the rain and heat. Pretty soon I'll only be able to see corn stalks and maybe the tops of the trees in the distance.
I want to thank you all for your prayers for discipleship; keep praying please. Sandy and I met yesterday and it went very well. She's a really nice person and I know you'd all like her immediately. The Lord is blessing us both.
When I looked at what I want to share today about women in ministry, I read some weird teachings. Not from our pastor, but information that he's gathered.
One thing was a man named Tertullian (AD 145-200) who said of women, "Thou are the devil's door". How would you like someone to say that to you? Pastor Gilley also mentions that all sects (cults) are either started by women or as co-founders or helpers. They evidently use Galatians 3:28 as their basis. I think they stretch that verse like a rubber band being used as a slingshot.
Pastor Gilley says that there are 3 modern views among Evangelical Christians:
1. Equalitarian (or egalitarian): It means men and women are equal in essence and function.
They too use Gal. 3:28 as their scriptural support.
2. Restricted: women are restricted from virtually all leadership in the church. They are to be silent. If any role exists it would be only with other women and children.
3. Male Leadership: women have freedom to minster in most roles except elder or teacher of men. They are equal in essence but have a different function.
Okay, so where does that lead us, as women in the church? What position do you see the Bible teaching? What scripture do you know that teaches you what to do, as a women doing ministry in the church?
Today is the ground work for the next blog or few blogs because we're going to look at
1 Corinthian 11:2-16.
I've given you the views that are held by people of our generation. The names of some of the men associated with these views was lengthy and some I knew. But, I don't hold with man's view, I hold with God's view and we're going to look at what He says in the coming blogs.
So, read 1 Cor. 11:2-16 to better understand what I'll be sharing.

Thinking on these things,
Sandy

No comments: