Saturday, June 7, 2008

Long time now blog!

Hey,

We've been experiencing modem problems, ergo no blog. Our brilliant son finally fixed what the cable tech's couldn't; it pays to have a computer wiz in the family.
Are you all tired of the rain? We had five years of drought, now all it does it rain. The field behind us has standing water and it's raining now. It reminds me of a song I used to sing as a kid: rain, rain, go away, come again another day. I probably learned this from my mom or grandmother.
Not much is happening here and I guess that's ok. I wasn't able to meet with Sandy (discipleship lady) again; she called Monday morning and told me she had a sinus infection. Every week there's an excuse; some legitimate. She says she wants to get together, but after being here for three months, we've only met one time. So, I'm asking for prayer. She badly needs discipleship as her life is a train wreck. Thanks!
Today we're going to look at a woman who was possibly deaconess. Romans 16:1-2 talks about Phoebe, a servant (also translated deacon) from the church in Cenchrea. Paul asks the church in Rome to receive her, basically with the privilege of an apostle/disciple.
My foot note tells me that she probably carried a letter from Paul to the Roman church. This whole chapter lists many women saying that they worked hard for the Lord. I agree with my foot note that they were doing ministry; possibly in roles of leadership, teaching and evangelism. Women back then needed to be taught, the same as men.
In light of Titus chapter 2, we can discern that Paul meant for women to teach women. I'm sure these ladies also were taught by men and then shared with women what they had learned.
Vs. 7 talks about Junias; she and her husband were apostles in the church, serving as a messenger/missionary.
It's important for women to be in leadership positions in the church to get a well balance representative of the body of Christ. If you feel the Lord calling you into a leadership role, or any type of ministry, do it. Keep trying until you find what brings a smile to your face and gladness in your heart.
When I first was asked to teach a Sunday school class for 4th and 5th grade kids, I tried to say no. But, I found out that I really enjoyed it, after I got started. I also learned so much about the Bible. God was training me, as I shared and trained the kids. I was scared to death to step out, but I'm glad I did because teaching others what the Lord has taught me brings a smile to my face and gladness/joy in my heart.

Sharing the joy,
Sandy

No comments: