Thursday, May 29, 2008

Women teaching Women

Good Morning all,
The sun is shining, for two days in a row; must be a record! And, it's supposed to get to the 70's.
Years ago when Chuck and I were introduced to discipleship/mentoring, we realized that the process was what had been missing in our spiritual growth.
After a few years of being Christians, our pastor had good material and showed us how to use it. Chuck and I started to disciple people and in the process were discipled! The information filled in gapes that we had and gave us a structured, systematic what of studying the Word.
Today's scripture shows that the principle of discipleship for women is set forth by the Lord in Titus 2:3-5 and in Acts 18:26. I won't write out the Titus passage, so please look at it and
Acts 18:26. Then, come and join me....
In Titus we see clearly that older women are to teach younger. When I was younger I would have loved for an older woman to come along side of me and teach me the principles of being a godly Christian wife and mother. I think it would have saved me from so much heartache and mistakes as I fumbled my way through those years.
I devoured the Word and the Lord taught me with my daily prayers: "Lord, teach me to be a good wife and mother." He did in many ways, but I know that the process could have been smoother and shorter with a godly woman guiding me.
I wasn't too proud to ask, I just didn't know that I should, or could. And, except for our pastor's wife, at that time, there wasn't anyone in the early years that was mature spiritually to come along side of me. Most of the women I knew were baby Christians like me.
If you think that discipleship is for someone else, please rethink that. Also, you can be a great help to a young mom who needs to grow in every way. I didn't have a godly mother to guide me and I needed a Christian woman to help, but didn't get it. I think that's part of what drives me with a passion to disciple women.
In Acts 18:26 we see Priscilla teaching with her husband. I think this is the model for women teaching along side husbands as men are being taught. I also think that there needs to be women in the class too. A woman should NOT teach men alone. Chuck and I have taught together a few times and we've seen how we balance each other out. I can't relate to men like Chuck can and vice versa.
In this case, Apollos was invited to Aquila and Priscilla's home and instructed. He had some really good information, but they helped him to understand everything because they had been instructed by the Apostle Paul.
If you read further you'll see that Apollos went on to Achaia, taught and debated vigorously. He had been trained well and could explain well. Discipleship works ladies.

Mentoring always,
Sandy

No comments: