Wednesday, July 2, 2008

To Speak or Not to Speak

Hi,
I was talking with my brother today, giving him an update and I told him that I had friends visit yesterday and many have called and that I feel like I've used up my quota of words for a year! I usually don't talk to many people, except Chuck of course, so it's amazing to me to hear from everyone and I SOOOOOOO appreciate the calls. I've been catching up with people I haven't talked with for a very long time, also.
My brother told me today that my Dad's bone cancer is worse and that the doctor doesn't give him anything over a year. We were expecting it, but when it comes, it's still hard. He isn't in much pain yet, so that's a good thing. My mom is able to care for him.
I haven't told them about my cancer; I don't want to add to their burden. My brother agrees with me, but Chuck doesn't. But, after thinking about it, unless there's worse news, I'm not going to say anything to them. Right or wrong, that's my decision; subject to change according to circumstances or someone talks me into it.
Looking at 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 is an interesting enlightenment. If you read the whole chapter, you'll see that just prior to these two verses it's talking about prophets speaking in an orderly way. Verse 33 tells us that God is a God of order, not chaos (disorder). Then Paul mentions women are to remain silent. Paul is talking about the major responsibility for doctrinal purity in the early church rested on the shoulders of the men, the elders in particular. Obviously some women were causing problems in the assembly by asking questions and perhaps even generating arguments; challenging the leadership of the men.
In Verse 34 the reference to the Law comes from Genesis 2: 18-24, 3:16 about the order of women where "head" order (God, man, woman) is concerned. Keep in mind also that the Law is a synonym for the Old Testament scriptures (first five books of the Bible).
At that time people were stating that they had the Holy Spirit so they didn't need Paul's help. Remember that the Lord chose Paul and anointed him, so those making these statements were actually opposing God (see verses 36-40).
Remember that in 1 Cor. 11:2-16 Paul allowed women to prophecy and pray under certain circumstances, so total silence in church isn't what he's saying here. Because this portion deals primarily with tongues and revelations, it implies that women were being carried away with speaking in tongues and disrupting the service. But, keep in mind that tongues is not the primary for us, but God's revelations, as Paul states in the remainder of the chapter.
To summarize this, women are not to challenge the leadership of the church in disrespectful ways. God's order is primary in the headship He established. So, Paul told the women to "knock it off" and ask their husbands, in the privacy of their homes, so that the husband and God were not dishonored in the assembly.
Hopefully this is clearer than mud :)).

Feeling much loved,
Sandy

No comments: