Thursday, July 19, 2007

Titus 3:15

Hey,
You probably did a double take when you saw Titus 3:15. Because there isn't a verse 16, I decided to fudge a little. The verse doesn't have any great theological theme, but I like it, so here goes.
"Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all."
Most of you know that I like to make and send cards. Whether birthday, anniversary, thank you or just: thinking of you, I like cards. I'm sure the post office is happy about all the stamps I buy!
The apostle Paul is sending greetings for himself and those with him. Paul traveled with many people who were constantly gleeming information from him as he taught. He encouraged them in this final chapter to do good work, not to be lazy but productive.
His ending reminds me of when people you love say goodbye, or you telling them. I say 'I love you' to family, a lot. I want to make sure that they know and feel my love. But, when I think about this small verse, I realize that I may not convey love to those in the faith.
Did you know that Paul uses the words: greet those who love US in the faith. He didn't say that he loves them, but you know he does. He's sent so many letters of encouragement and instruction all over the areas that he's traveled.
"Grace be with you all." Isn't that a wonderful way to end a letter. God's grace, poured out in full measure on lives that are following Him. Paul understood grace extremely well and when he made this benediction, he was conveying an important truth: God's grace is with us all.
How do you know His grace is with you? It isn't something you can feel. Romans 5:17 tells us: "For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ." Grace is a gift from God through Jesus Christ, therefore you have grace in your life. Remember, grace means: God's unmerited favor; or: God's Riches At Christ's Expense.
So, when Paul tells them: grace be with you all, he just reminding them of a gift from God.

Grace received,
Sandy

No comments: