Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Philippians 3:16

Greetings to All,
I used to work at an insurance office. One of my bosses (family owned business) was the wife. Jean was a really good woman and became very dear to me. She appreciated the hard work that I did and gave me raises accordingly, even when she didn't give the other women one. Part of me didn't think that was fair, the other part of me thought that it was. I was torn in my thinking. I worked hard and was rewarded for that hard work. That increase in pay was also an encouragement to work hard, continually.
Philippians 3:16 teaches us: Only let us live up to what we have already attained. So, what is it talking about? In order to understand the passage you have to go back and read chapter 3 in its entirety. So, after you've done that, come and join me.....
There were some false teachers that were trying to add works to grace. They were saying that the believer's needed to be circumcised. But, Paul takes them by the throat and gets their attention by establishing his right as a Jew and a circumcised one at that. He knew the way of the cross and he was telling them that the false teachers were trying to add something that the Lord didn't want there.
Paul ends the chapter by saying: hang on to the original: grace. Press toward the goal of obedience and service as we wait eagerly for the Lord's deliverance of our earthly bodies. He tells them to mature. In verse 15 he says: all of us who are mature. That alludes to those that aren't, are believing in something that they shouldn't.
In 17 he tells us to be an example, following his example. He ends all with telling us that one day our lowly bodies will be like Christ's glorious body. I can't wait! How about you? Are you living in such a way as to be an example of Paul who was an example of Christ? Are you maturing and being obedient to His Word? If not, why not? Don't put yourself before Him; there's no glory for Christ in that.

Already attained,
Sandy

No comments: