Tuesday, July 17, 2007

2 Timothy 3:16

Good evening,
Canning pickle relish took up a major portion of my day and I only ended up with 4 quarts. But, I make the best relish! I know, I'm bragging, but it's true. The recipe came from a friend and I modified it many years ago. I basically only use the relish in my famous potato salad, so a jar lasts a long time. That was my day. How was yours?
When I first started canning years ago I made a lot of mistakes until our neighbor shared with me the finer art of proper canning. No more jars that exploded! Through the years I've canned hundreds, possibly more than a thousand. Every year when I got done with the produce from the garden, I'd looked at the lined shelves and know contentment that our family had lots of food to get us through the winter, good wholesome food. Except for a few beans, cherry tomatoes, salsa, I don't can or freeze anything anymore.
All those years ago I had a great teacher. The men who wrote the Word of God for us also had a great teacher, the Lord Jesus Christ. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." I included verse 17 to finish the thought.
There's companion verses that you should look up: 2 Peter 1:21, 1 Corinthians 2:13, Psalm 33:4. They share the same thought, that God is the author, men just did the actual writing. When the Lord gave Moses the Ten Commandments, He wrote them on the tablets, but when it came to the rest of His Word, He commanded men, and they were obedient.
If you look at what the verse teaches, all the things that the Word is meant for is to train us to be obedient, to the Lord. Then, comes the good works. When we learn, apply and grow, we automatically want to serve. His Word teaches us how to learn, apply, grow and how to serve.
It's hard to be rebuked by the Lord, but His rebuke is perfect and timely. Listen to His heart for you and let His Word speak to you His love. Then, go and serve.

Serving Him,
Sandy

No comments: