Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Trustworthy saying

Good Afternoon,
I trust you are keeping warm on this very chilly day. I'm SOOO looking forward to warmer weather.
As I was looking for scripture to share today, I found something that's very interesting. Take a look at 2 Timothy 2:11-13 and then join me....
The Apostle Paul used this little term: "a trustworthy saying" also in 1 Tim. 1:15. It tells us about Christ. Here it starts with dying/living. He died on the cross and took our sins there, so we also died with Him. Because He lives, we then also "live" with Him. This is for eternity.
"If we endure" we will also reign with Him. As we've studied before, to endure means lots of patience, sometimes while we're suffering. I'd say the "if" is just stuck in there because we all know suffering in patience. Have you thought about "reigning" with Christ? I'm not sure what all that means, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I think it means we'll have "jobs" to do, for Him.
Disown. If we are His, we would never disown Him. So, I take this to mean unbelievers. We may have times where we're angry and turn our "backs" on Him, but would we really disown Him if we're truly His? Isn't there always a part of us that clings to Him?
I know as humans we are faithless sometimes. We are disobedient and we fail Him, ergo faithless. Sometimes our faith is weak, for whatever reason. Maybe we're immature or have been hurt so badly that we can't see how He is working, despite all our troubles/trials.
But, it tells us that He is faithful. It's one of His attributes of His character. He can't NOT be faithful because it's part of His nature. As this verse says, He cannot disown Himself.
What a great promise we have. We fail, He does not. We're faithless, He is not. He reigns and we reign with Him. He also helps us to endure.
So, the next time that you are not seeing Him working, stop and consider this small passage and "think on these things" as our Pastor would say.

Thinking of Him,
Sandy

No comments: