Friday, March 6, 2009

Quarreling

Hello,
Isn't the weather today just wonderful? Tucker and I enjoyed our walk so much. I didn't have to wear a winter coat! We also had a visit from a close neighbor. She and her daughter like to come a visit Tucker. She's a single mom and her daughter is 3.
I had a call from a friend today about a situation that she's struggling with. I know I can pray about the problem, but when I ran across this verse in 2 Timothy 2:14, I decided it was a good verse to look at. "Keep reminding them of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen."
Words. So much hurt comes from the words we speak. Sometimes we're misunderstood, other times we are hurtful for a reason. Then there are good words, ones of encouragement, edification, love.
Have you ever said something and then , either immediately, or delayed realize you've put your foot in your mouth? Some times people don't even know they are hurting others by their flippant attitude. We say something that's not quite nice and try to excuse the remark by saying: I was only kidding.
I think what Paul was talking about here were arguments about theology. Some times it's easy to get into the "heat of the moment" and our tone of voice isn't as kind as it should be. We're frustrated because the other person doesn't agree with us, or doesn't see what we're saying.
We are not always going to agree with doctrine, theology. If you have two people, you'll have two views; not always, but quite often. For myself, I've had to say: can we agree to disagree? Sometimes the person is okay with that, sometimes not. That situation mostly happens when I'm trying to share the precepts of salvation to a non-believer. The truth doesn't always sit well with people who don't see or don't want to know the truth.
A few years ago the Lord really impressed upon me to tell the truth, but to do it in the spirit of love. This means tempering my voice and using phraseology that is clearly understood and not argumentative. As this verse states: it is of no value.
Why warn them before God? I think that God, who sees everything, knows the true intent of the heart and he wants us to study scripture and use that as our guideline and Him as our witness.
What about you? Do you quarrel with others? Do you look for trouble or just like to argue a point strongly? You can argue a point to the death, and not gain a thing.

Working on the loving with words,
Sandy

No comments: