Friday, February 27, 2009

Spirit of Timidity

Good Morning,
I need to make a correction on my last blog, I wrote 1 Timothy 1, but it was actually 2 Timothy 1. Sorry for the typo. It's Friday! Whoo hoo!!! We get to have Ethan and Nolan tomorrow; can't wait. :))))
I want to continue in 2 Tim. 1: 7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." Even though this verse is short, I want to just concentrate on the first part: spirit of timidity. The dictionary describes timid as: very sensitive to real or imagined causes of fear, lacking self confidence.
I've often wondered how sensitive we should be about things in life. I've also come to the conclusion that 99.9% of things in this world are NOT about ME. So, if I'm sensitive to what other people say or do, why? Am I perceiving hurts that really aren't there? Am I taking on a responsibility for an emotion that I shouldn't have? If so, what can I do about that?
From the description, this" real or imagined" causes fear and lack of confidence. This verse tells us that fear isn't of God(timidity/fear). So where does fear come from? Well, we know that Satan wants us to fear, basically everything. If we are fearing, we are not trusting God. Fear holds us in bondage. But, WE ALLOW IT! We have choices.
Every time I choose to trust God (and tell Him so) I drive fear away; it has no hold on me. Therefore, I don't sin by fearing. Yes, sin. Lack of trust, is sin. Prov. 3:5,6 tells us to: "trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." This is a commandment. Don't you just love that verse? I've quoted it to myself for years and it brings such comfort in trying times.
So, what will you choice be this day? Will you trust when things are not what they need to be? Will you depend on your emotions, or God's Sovereign grace to see you through? It's all a matter of free will/choices.
God has proven Himself to me for almost 32 years of walking with Him. How can I throw that away by having a spirit of timidity now? If we add verse 6, it tells me to use the gifts He has given and let the results be His. I am to step out in power (next blog) and let Him direct my paths.

Stepping out with God,
Sandy

No comments: