Friday, February 6, 2009

Endurance

Hello,
Isn't this warmer weather just wonderful? I took Tucker to get a bath today. At least she didn't have to get into a cold car. Yesterday she had a seizure. It's the second one she's had since we got her 51/2 years ago. The last one was almost a 2 years ago. This one lasted longer and I think she had some pain because she didn't want me to touch her head when she was finally back to "normal". It was a bit traumatic. I could see she didn't understand what was happening to her. Today she's up and running like normal though, chasing her ball and visiting the various smells around the pond where we walk.
As we revisit 1 Timothy 6:11-12 our next word is: endurance. This word means: long suffering. The dictionary tells us: the capacity to keep going or to put up with pain, hardship. In our Tuesday Bible study we are in Colossians. The word patience is tied with endurance. Patience means: endurance when circumstances are difficult. This is the opposite of despondency (pity party).
Patience is an important characteristic of a maturing Christian. Romans 5:3-4 tells us: "tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance proven character; and proven character, hope." Patience is endurance in action.
Then, there's long suffering which means: self-restraint and is the opposite of revenge (God says that's His to do). Patience has to do with circumstances but long suffering has to do with people. If you remember Gal. 5:22, long suffering (patience) is a fruit of the Spirit. In 2 Peter 3:9, God is long suffering toward people because of His love and grace. 2 Corinthians 6:4-6 tells us long suffering is the mark of a true Christian of Jesus Christ.
When we were overseas, a friend came to help with a camp. She remarked that Chuck and I were so patient with everyone. Obviously we hadn't been before:))). We learned many things on the mission field and patience was one of those things.
Back to endurance. In life there are situations that we find ourselves having to endure. It might be a problem with someone else, or something that's happened to us that we have no control over, or whatever. We are suffering, having to endure.
What I've found is that I have to surrender the situation/person/problem to God and let Him take care of it. Otherwise I end up angry, frustrated and the end result is I sin. I don't have any right to "ME", but God does. I can't force my "rights", but God can work His will. I just have to surrender my will and the problem to Him and let Him work. For sure He will deal with the situation far better than me.

Enduring,
Sandy

No comments: