Monday, December 29, 2008

Godliness

Hello,
What wonderful sunny weather we're having. The Lord is blessing us after many days of yucky weather! Lynn and babies are still hanging in there. I'm beginning to think they don't want to leave their warm nest. She's only a couple of weeks away from her original due date. Maybe we'll have New Year's babies!
I want to look at the word from 1 Tim. 6:11, godliness. Refresh your memories by re reading the passage and join me.....The dictionary defines godliness as: the state of being godly. It defines godly as: pious, devout. Devout means: worshiping, attending to religious duties, sincere, earnest, devout hopes. Pious means: devout or showing religious devotion.
As I understand these terms that define godliness, it tells me that people who become monks and live in seclusion probably fit into this category quite well. But what about us, every day people living life?
I see the definition as part spiritual: the heart attitude, and physical; doing something with what you believe. That reminds me of James telling us to show our faith by our works. The heart is at the center I think of any godliness that we have.
Do you think of yourself as godly? I know that I don't, even though what I might do sometimes could be classified as godly. I guess because I'm a sinner thinking I'm godly is hard to grasp.
But, evidently it's possible to be godly because it's included in the list. So how do we do this? What comes to mind is having a right heart attitude. Loving God, putting Him and His desires ahead of mine. Serving Him with a whole heart, not a rebellious one.
I also think that studying His Word and applying it are important. We need to know error from truth and stand by this truth when we share with someone. We need to live the truth of God's Word because that's obedience and it pleases God greatly.
When I choose to obey Him, He declares me godly. When my heart is dedicated to Him and serving Him, I gain godliness. What are you doing to gain godliness? You know the way, He's the truth and life for us to follow in obedience.

Pursuing Him,
Sandy

No comments: