Tuesday, December 16, 2008

1 Timothy 1:13

Snowy Morning to you all,
Father Winter is in full fury today. I had to take Chuck to work and the roads were really bad, but as always, the Lord piloted me safely. I've often wondered how many angels are riding with me :).
I've chosen a different sort of verse today. Not sure why, but I have it underlined and I know that it speaks volumes, to all of us. So, here goes: "Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief."
When Paul calls himself a blasphemer and persecutor, he's talking about how he spoke and acted against Christ and His followers. He participated in Stephan's death too. He believed that Jesus wasn't God, even though Christ told everyone He was. The word blasphemy means: "contemptuous or irreverent speech about God or things regarded as sacred." Now, keep in mind that Paul thought he was serving God by persecuting Christians, believing that they were in the wrong on their theology, not him.
We found out recently that a man/family in our church was trying to influence people away from the teaching on eternal security. I'm not questioning their salvation, but his constant persistence finally brought discipline from the leadership: quit this teaching. He chose to leave, much to the disappointment of his family. The kids really loved our fellowship. I have a feeling that down the road some or all of the kids will be back, once they all leave home. From what I've observed, there's a possibility of some legalism in the family; I could be wrong.
I feel that because of this man's teaching, in ignorance of what scripture teaches, that God will show him mercy, especially to this man's family as they follow his headship and can't do anything different, at least for now.
I want to ask the man: why don't you want to be eternally secure? I feel strongly that in each of us we want to know that security. I can't imagine never knowing for sure if I'm saved or not. Thankfully, it's not dependent on me or my knowledge, but on God's grace.
I draw comfort from this passage that if I'm ignorant of something in God's teaching, that He gives me grace until I know and can do/change to come into obedience. Praise Him for His patience!!!

Grateful for grace,
Sandy

No comments: