Monday, August 4, 2008

James 2: 14-26

Good Morning,
Summer is hitting us hard, and I'm so thankful for air conditioning, aren't you? I hope you all had a good weekend. We had supper with Josh and family on Sat. night and had a good visit. Ethan got a dirt bike. It's so little, but he's thrilled. He can't ride it alone yet, but has so much fun with Daddy in the back yard. Nolan's way too little, but he laughs as he rides; age has no boundaries for fun.
Today's scripture is James 2:14-26, so please read them and join me. I'm not going share on this whole passage today, but a portion of it, then more this week. I don't know who wrote this following, but it describes this portion perfectly:
"What you are speaks so loud, that the world can't hear what you say, they are looking at your walk, not listening to your talk, they are judging by your actions every day. Don't believe you'll deceive, by claiming what you've never known. They'll accept what they see, and know you to be - they'll judge by your life alone."
Pretty convicting isn't it? I don't know about you, but through the years I've watched many people who say they are Christians, but their lifestyle doesn't match their words. What I have to be careful of is not judging motives. I can judge the sin/fruit (negative or lack of fruit), but I can't judge why they say one thing and do another. I'm sure you've met a few people through the years such as I've described. I'm not responsible for them, but I am for ME!
If you were to ask someone you know, close to you or not: does my life meet my words in equality? What do you think they'd say? Would you life stand up under scrutiny?
But, I think that the bigger picture here, is that the world is watching us. In our jobs, at stores, at the fitness center, at school events. If faith justifies us before God, then our works are a testimony before men/women.
But, there's more. Are we taking our faith and reaching out in good works? Are we serving the Lord by helping others in their need, no matter whether the need is spiritual, mental, physical or financial. I know for sure that we sometimes can't or shouldn't help someone (depends on whether the Lord is trying to teach them something) but we can pray! That's faith reaching out too.
So, do you live your life of faith in service, no matter how small? Does your life reflect your words? Don't let your faith be dead; let it shine.

Trying to live my words,
Sandy

No comments: