Thursday, August 14, 2008

Habbakkuk 2:20

Hi,
Today a friend from church who lives in my neighborhood, Bee, came to visit for a little while. We had a nice chat about lots of things, you know, getting to know each other; she's really nice. We were talking about the lady in our S.S. class that shared and was so confusing for the ladies listening to her. No, we weren't gossiping, we were sharing that we didn't think she understood what to believe.
Her name is Mary and she has a troubled past that influences her present. She's attended different churches and learned many different teachings. My brain said: she needs to be discipled. Anyway, Bee shared how hard it was for her to follow Mary's train of thought and I agreed; I really had to concentrate on Mary's 'rabbit trails'.
Bee shared that Mary has a hard time letting go of her past and living in the present. I understand that because we all do that somewhat/sometimes. But, by bringing the past into the present, she's missing out on what the Lord wants for her NOW. She's missing out on blessings, directions, work/service for Him.
So, that brings me to the scripture for today. Habakkuk 2:20 "But the Lord is in His holy temple; let all the earth be silent before Him." I think that sometimes we really need to just be silent so we can stand in awe of Him, worship Him, let Him be the focus of our very being.
How can we do this? We live in a terribly busy world and life seems to swirl around us like the tide on a beach, even when we try to be silent before Him.
I don't know if there's a perfect answer to that, because for me the answer may be different then for you. I like Psalm 46:10: "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." I think these two verses go hand in hand.
I think to be still before the Lord means to focus totally on Him and block out 'life'. That's the first, but the second is just as important. We need to know Him. We do that by studying who He is, the attributes of His character, how he works in lives, what are His goals for us.
When we are not focussed on Him, we can't be still and we can't know Him the way He wants.
What keeps you from focusing on Him? What keeps you from being silent before Him? Do you really know what to believe? If not, why not? You might be surprised what you 'hear' when you are silent before Him.
We need to celebrate that we belong to a God that is exalted about the nations and earth.

Celebrating Him,
Sandy

No comments: