Thursday, August 7, 2008

A righteous prostitute

Hey,
Another summer day and the weather is beautiful. Tucker and I sat outside for a little while this morning so I could get some "D's". Chuck came home for awhile, then he's back tomorrow morning. He didn't get the truck because it would get him home some time on Sat. It's so good to have him home for a little while.
Today we're looking at James 2:25-26. This will finish this section and I'm not sure if I'll continue on in James; have to see where the Spirit leads. "In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."
This is the same Rahab that marries one of the spies and is in the line that carries to Jesus. She believed that God was God and decided to support Him and His cause.
I'm sure when the news came to the town about what was happening with the Jews that she too was afraid. Sometimes fear motivates us to do what's right. Her fear drove her into God's service, her faith tells us that she thought He was bigger than any of the gods that she would have worshiped to this point in time.
When James finishes with verse 26, it almost seems out of place, but I think it is the summary. He uses Rahab to show that by her deeds, she proved her faith. Do your deeds prove your faith? What are you doing for the Lord?
I have a friend that wrote me a note and in it she talks about spending so much time and energy on her children. She felt she should be doing more for the Lord. I encouraged her that her children are at home so briefly and that she was investing in their lives Christian values. Basically, her children are her first mission field. She'll have time as they go to college, get married to do more for the Lord.
I know that during those growing years that I too chaffed at the bit to do more for the Lord. I did some things, but always felt I could do more. When they left home, I then had that opportunity.
The main point of this passage is that we serve. By serving we prove our faith is real, genuine. The dictionary says that genuine is: frank, honest, sincere, authentic. Only you and the Lord know what your faith is made of. What does He think?

Striving to be genuine,
Sandy

No comments: