Friday, September 26, 2008

Sowing and reaping

Good Morning,
I think this must be a record for me to blog in a week:)). Chuck's having his MRI done right now, so thought I'd take the time to share.
As many of you know, I love to garden. Since we've moved here, my gardening consists of pots. In a way it's worked okay, but I really miss the variety of vegies and herbs that I used to grow. What I don't miss is the watering, constantly; it wore me out. When I'd plant a small seed and watch God turn it into the plant yielding more than we needed so I could give away, I felt thoroughly blessed.
2 Cor. 9: 6-7 says: "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."
Paul had been sharing with the Corinthian church that men were coming to collect the generous gift of money that had been collected to help them with the ministry. I would encourage you to read the chapter, but especially verses 6-15.
I know this passage is talking about money and it's important that when we give to the Lord we do it with a whole heart, generously. Notice that it doesn't say 10% or 20%, but what you decide in your heart. It isn't the amount that's important to God, but that you do it and with a generous heart.
I think this portion could also apply to our service for the Lord. Many people don't wish to find out what their spiritual gifts are, because then they'd have to use them! Or they use the gifts the Lord has given, but not as freely or generously as they should. Isn't it a matter of the heart, always, at least where God is concerned? 1 Samuel 16:7b tells us: "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
There are so many ways that we can please the Lord and the more we look for those ways, the more He will show us what pleases Him and He will delight our hearts.

Looking and serving,
Sandy

No comments: