Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dessert dilemna

Hey,
It's been awhile since I've blogged. We went to my parents to visit, as many of you know. We had a good visit, but it was hard to see my dad suffering from the radiation he had 6 years ago for cancer. Also, he now has bone cancer and is having chemo every 3 weeks, supposedly to help with pain. My mom is his caretaker and I can see that it's taking its toll on her too.
We were able to see my two brothers and our sister-in-law and that was nice. My one brother is having more surgery soon because of damage from radiation he had a year ago. Why is it that the things that are supposed to help you get well hurt you so much? Another reason why I won't have radiation and/or chemo.
With so many hours in the car, I had lots of time to think about many things. One of the things was a time when we were baby Christians and we took a Sunday drive. We stopped at some friends house, Gaylord and Viola Schlitter. They were about 100 years old and still farming. Well, that's an exaggeration about their age, but they were well into their 80's and still going strong.
We really liked them and they were a fountain of God's truth and wisdom. So when we stopped, we had such a good visit and I learned a valuable lesson.
Viola had made a dessert (even though they didn't know we were coming) and while she was dishing it up, I took a small bite of mine. No one said anything, but then Gaylord said grace.
I wasn't raised with many table manners and we didn't say grace very often at our house, even when we were first Christians (learning curve time).
After Gaylord said the grace, I made a comment about having taken a bite by saying: I couldn't resist. They were gracious and didn't say anything, so the moment passed. But, it stuck in my mind and I've thought about it many times.
I say all this to share that what I did that day was so typical of sinners in need of grace. I saw, I liked, I ate. I didn't stop to consider anything except that I wanted the dessert. Whether a person is saved or not, when we don't put God first, but ourselves first, we sin.
How many times have you done something without thinking only later to realize what you did, and then you had to come before the Lord and confess? We have to be purposeful in our walk with Him. We can't just react, we have to act.
So, the next time you're faced with something so simple as saying grace, maybe in a restaurant, don't be afraid of what people will think, just do it. Be grateful for every thing, but especially the little things, daily. I think our loving heavenly Father likes to hear our voice and heart being grateful for His bounty.

Enjoying His dessert,
Sandy

No comments: