Monday, August 13, 2007

2 John 6

Good hot Monday afternoon,
I trust you're all staying cool. I've been outside briefly, but the heat drove me back inside. It's August, what can I say?
There isn't a 16th verse in 2 John, so I chose verse 6 instead. "And this is love: that we walk in obedience to His commands. As you have heard from the beginning, His command is that you walk in love."
That's pretty straight forward isn't it? This second book of John's is all about keeping on target spiritually. John's addressing false teacher's that have invaded the churches teaching that Jesus didn't come in the flesh. I think he nails them very well and admonishes all to walk in truth. Truth seems to be his key word in the beginning.
Note that in verse 5 he says: "I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another." He's right, loving isn't a new command but one that doesn't get done, or is done but not as the Lord would want us to do.
Loving first has to be directed toward God. We show Him our love by our obedience and service. Then, we're to love one another, warts and all. Are you loving others, even then they are difficult to love? It's not a choice you know.
Also keep in mind that it's a command to love. It doesn't mean mushy, gooey love, but it does mean that we try to do our best for others, not persecute or malign and help if help is needed.
At different times in my life there have been people who have persecuted me for whatever reason. It's been difficult for me to even be in the same room with them, much less show them love. But, when I put that person into the Lord's hands and prayed for them, my feelings started to follow the command. I found that I could forgive and be civil to them in a kind and generous way. How they reacted was not my responsibility, but God's.
So, are you loving others? Even the hard ones? Remember, God loves you, even when you aren't very lovable or being loving. It's a little thing called: agape love (unconditional).

Working on loving others,
Sandy

No comments: