Wednesday, August 8, 2007

1 Peter 3:15-16

I'm back!
My Google account didn't want to have anything to do with me and it's taken forever, and with the help of our son I'm back blogging again. I've really missed this, so it feels really good.
I hope you've all been well. I know some haven't felt the best, but the Lord has held you close.
I've included verse 15 because 15 and 16 are one sentence. "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."
Many years ago at a little church we attended, I was slandered against because I'd ask people to share their testimony with me. Now, I love to hear how the Lord brings people to Him and saves them. I was misunderstood and maligned badly. Many in the church were up in arms against me. My motives were pure before the Lord and those close to me knew I hadn't done anything wrong.
At a Bible study we were sharing prayer requests. When a person was mentioned that I didn't know I asked if they were saved. Basically I would pray for the person, but if they weren't saved, I also wanted to pray for their salvation.
One of the ladies in the church, a pillar in many ways, lit into me about judging. It blew me and everyone there out of the water. She rained coals of condemnation on me for about five minutes. Needless to say I was hurt and confused.
Our pastor's wife and another dear saint addressed the issue immediately. It was nice that they defended me, but even they misunderstood. No one asked me what I meant and I didn't have the opportunity to even say anything until they'd had their say.
When they finished, I was asked what I meant and I shared that I would pray, but if they needed salvation I wanted to add that to my prayer. The looks of everyone there told the sad story of people jumping to conclusions and not asking what I meant by my question. It was a good lesson for everyone, including me.
Thankfully the lady who attacked me did apologize. But, the damage was done and I was badly hurt. The other ladies told me I shouldn't be hurt, but I was. God knew my heart and He always knows our motives. He did comfort me, as He always does.
It was a lesson to me to be careful not to attack others because they think or believe differently. Also, ask questions to clarify what is meant. Hearts are tender and easily hurt.
Praying for you all,

Sandy

No comments: