Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Corinthians 3:16

Hey,
What a day I've had. I got to see our son and his family. I just love cuddling on the couch with two of my grands. Then the dreaded thing: shopping. I know, many women like to shop but I don't; never have. At least I found basically everything I went to find and that was good. The heat, well, it heated up!
Today's verse is wonderful and I can't wait to share it: "Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?" Isn't that super? The Holy Spirit, a gift from God when we trust Him as our Savior, lives in us.
Let's back up this Biblical information just a bit. The Apostle Paul was talking about divisions in the church and they were pitting one teacher against another. It helps to read verses 10-15 first. You've all heard me use this portion of scripture many times. So, after you read it, including the first 9 verses to get a better idea of what led Paul to tell him in 16 that the Holy Spirit lives in us.
As Paul talks about the divisions that threaten to destroy the church, he's talking about God's dwelling place. In essence, God's temple was being threatened. But, because we are the dwelling place of God's Spirit, our very lives can be damaged.
How does this happen? Why sin of course. When we allow sin to rule in us, we aren't good representatives for Him. Do you remember what Ephesians 5:18 says? "Do not be drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."
When we are filled with the Spirit, we are not allowing the 'world' to rule in us and negate the work of the Holy Spirit. When we walk with the Lord in obedience, we are not causing trouble with other believer's and are walking in such a way to then honor God.
I think the best part of this verse is the teaching that the Holy Spirit lives in us, and He's always with us. Remember some of his titles? Comforter, counselor, advocate, teacher, etc. Isn't it wonderful how He works in us to bring us to the Lord in completeness?
So, are you walking with the Lord and letting the Holy Spirit work His work in your 'temple'? If you are, wonderful. If you're not, why not? What is hindering your walk with the Lord?

His temple,
Sandy

No comments: