Monday, May 28, 2007

In Everything, Thanks

Dear All,
I trust your are all doing well and living for Jesus. I'm thankful for the rain we've had and the temps have been so nice. I like having windows open and without tons of dust blowing through. I'm not especially fond of dusting.
During our time in Czech, we had to have our van fixed a few times. The man who did this work lived a few kilometers from us. We'd drive there, leave the car and then catch a bus back home. When the van was ready we'd backtrack.
One of the very first times that we took the van there, I rode with Chuck. I was just a little better with the language than he was, so he wanted me to interpret (what a laugh). Anyway, when it was time to go home, we went to the bus stop. After looking at the schedule, we decided on the direct bus back to Zlin, our home.
A bus came along about 15 minutes after we got there. Because it wasn't the bus we wanted, I told the driver no. And we waited, and waited and waited. After about an hour, a bus comes along. Now, the time of the direct bus had come and gone, with no bus. So, I thought maybe this was the one we wanted. Wrong.
But, because we had been there waiting an hour already, we decided to take it instead. It was going to a town that we would have to pass through anyway and we knew we could catch a connection there.
We did finally get home, long after we were supposed to and our daughter was frantic. That was before cell phones. We didn't even have a computer. Sorry, I digress.
When I think about that time and the lesson learned, I think about I Thessalonians 5:18. I've used this passage before, but I want to concentrate on one word: everything. The New American Standard uses this word. The NIV uses' in all circumstances'. I like the 'everything' because it means I say thanks even in bad situations, when I don't feel like saying thanks, when I don't have a thankful heart or spirit.
But, as I read the rest of the verse: in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. His will for me/us. He wants us to give thanks, no matter what is happening or how I feel.
Why? Because it honors Him. He is Sovereign and He sometimes uses negative/hard things to teach us dependence on Him, to soften our hearts, to help us understand someone elses trouble or pain, or whatever reason.
As Sovereign Lord, He uses, sometimes allows, things to happend to us that aren't always pleasurable. But, what about the good things? Do you always say thank you to Him? Food for thought.

Thankful for you all,
Sandy

No comments: