Tuesday, May 29, 2007

God of all comfort

Good Evening,
How was your day? Mine was good. Busy too. I talked with our son about gardening. He's a novice one and so we have lots to talk about. The kids helped me in the garden when they were younger, but really didn't take much interest other than the money they could get for pulling weeds. They didn't get rich, but I didn't get poor either and the garden was clean enough to discern weeds from produce.
It always delights me when the Lord gives me comfort, so I thought I'd share a few verses with you. Go to 2 Corinthians 1:3-7. Basically I'm going to concentrate on 3-5. Did you notice that it starts with praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ? Always, He should be the center of worship, praise and seeking.
I like that it tells us that He is the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. When I see 'Father' that tells me that the one that can take care of me the most, is the one that gives the most comfort. Isn't that comforting? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
What does the word 'comfort' mean? As I checked out the dictionary I found this: to console. I looked up console and it says: to bring comfort in distress. That's a complete circle.
Do we need comfort if we're not distressed? I think not. So, when the Lord is bringing us comfort, it's because we need it, badly. But, He does bring it, when we need it. This is confirmed by verse 4: who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comofrt we ourselves have received from God.
It looks like we pass on what the Lord gives us. I've found this completely true. Many times through the years I've been able to give comfort to someone going through what I've already been through. God uses me to bring comfort to a hurting soul. How about you? Has He used you in this way? Do you pass on the comfort that He's given to you?
The Apostle Paul confirms that this happens to him. Verse 5 states at the end: so also through Christ our comfort overflows. I've seen this in action, in myself and through others. This leads me to two points. God is the source of all comfort and He wants us to comfort others.
So, have you comforted anyone lately? If so, did they really feel comforted by what you shared? Did you pray for them? Will you keep them in prayer? How will you spread around the comfort the Lord gives to you?

Spreading the comfort,
Sandy

No comments: