Thursday, October 30, 2008

Colossians 1:15

Good Morning All,
I trust you are all well and that the Lord has shown you something in His Word that was new or a refreshment for you. He showed me Colossians 1:15 again:"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation."
As I look at this wonderful verse I see three things: image of God, firstborn and creation. Christ is the image of the invisible God. We know from John 4:24 that He is spirit therefore invisible to us. The image means God's attributes are manifest in Christ. Everything God is, Christ is. They have separate positions (jobs) that overlap when necessary.
As creation was made by Christ, He is preeminent/firstborn. The Jews used this word meaning that someone was especially honored. Israel was called the firstborn (Ex. 4:22); and David (Ps. 89:27). This word referred to their place of honor before God. Paul is saying that Christ has a place of honor over all creation.
When we were in Europe, we would ride in trolley's or trains. People there honored their elders and pregnant women and one way was to give up a seat on a vehicle. I had a winter coat that was long and underneath I would wear my "fanny pack" with money, etc.
One day when we were getting on a trolley, people must have thought I was pregnant because my "pouch" stuck out a ways and they got up and offered me a seat. I took it of course! I didn't correct the thinking even though I probably should have. But, I also gave up my seat many times for older folks and helped women with children to get on or off a trolley, so that erases my guilt :)).
How do you honor God with your life? Or people who are older and infirm, mommies, etc.?"
Christ has an honored position in the trinity and He uses that position to help us be the people He wants us to be. Do you honor His position with obedience and respect?

His,
Sandy

No comments: